Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"L’homme qui te ressemble" by René Philombe

J’ai frappé à ta porte
J’ai frappé à ton coeur
Pour avoir un bon lit
Pour avoir un bon feu
Pourquoi me repousser?
Ouvre-moi mon frère !…
 
Pourquoi me demander
Si je suis d’Afrique
Si je suis d’Amérique
Si je suis d’Asie
Si je suis d’Europe ?
Ouvre moi mon frère !..

Pourquoi me demander
La longueur de mon nez
L’épaisseur de ma bouche
La couleur de ma peau
Et le nom de mes dieux,
Ouvre-moi mon frère !…

Je ne suis pas un noir
Je ne suis pas un rouge
Je ne suis pas un jaune
Je ne suis pas un blanc
Mais je ne suis qu’un homme
Ouvre-moi mon frère !…

Ouvre-moi ta porte
Ouvre-moi ton coeur
Car je suis un homme
L’homme de tous les temps
L’homme de tous les cieux
L’homme qui te ressemble !…


Translation 


I knocked at your door
I knocked at your heart
So that I may have a good bed,
So that I may have a warm fire
Why do you refuse me?
Let me in brother!

Why do you ask
If I am African
If I am American
If I am Asian
If I am European?
Let me in brother!

Why do you ask
The length of my nose
The thickness of my mouth
The color of my skin
And the name of my gods?
Let me in brother!

I am not black
I am not red
I am not white
But I am only a man
Let me in brother!

Let me in your door
Let me into your heart
Because I am a man
The man of all times
the man of all the heavens
the man who resembles you

 

3 comments:

John W. May said...

Great poem- and perfect picture to add to it. I love that line:

Ouvre moi mon frère

Nsheuko said...

John, It is a beautiful poem indeed. I first read it when I was about 10 years old and I loved it. I still enjoy going through it every time. It is simple and refreshing...

Jacqueline said...

I'm a (white) French-American mother of a ten-year-old learning this lovely poem for for school. The question I have is for the translator. Of "Je ne suis pas un noir, Je ne suis pas un rouge..."--"I am not black, I am not red" wouldn't it have been better to translate it as "I am not A black, I am not A red skin..." so as to emphasize the fact that while I have black skin I am not A black man but simply a man--I am not defined by my skin color, whatever it is. I'd be interested in hearing from other commentators on this....Thanks!